Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

......When a Plan comes Together.....

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together............

Back in May I was lucky enough to win a super Flower Kit by Georgina Steeds (The Miniature Garden Centre), from the raffle at our local Dolls House Club here in Thame. I've used lots of her kits in the past for myself and I love them...but this was a 1/12th Marrow kit...mmm...daunting! It meant making marrows and I haven't made those for years!!!! I kept thinking about combining it with one of my old gardeners in a vignette of some sort.....I kept thinking......



Come early July and Celia (KT Miniatures) my friend and partner in our Nostalgia in Miniature Workshops, had made a wonderfully aged 1930s cold frame with sliding lid, as a prototype for our 'Down the Little Garden Path Workshop'. I ordered one immediately and a plan was beginning to form.....
Then my lovely Savoy cabbages arrived from Mouse House Miniatures and my flower-pot making efforts proved 'passable'....the plan was nearly possible....



I spent a long time looking at the marrow plants (well courgettes actually, but it's close) in my own garden and took photos - how sad it that - before actually digging out the polymer clay to attempt the all-important marrows!!

Marrows and dolls heads are very different.....




Anyway - it's been fun - I've enjoyed putting it all together and I do hope the other artisans feel I've done justice to their talents and expertise. Of course my old gardener should have planted his marrow out from the cold frame onto a nice big composty heap when it was young......but he was busy and forgot.... so it remained in the frame and in its lush exuberance, grew and grew and pushed and tumbled out of the frame!! It looks as if he should start picking!!
I popped the lovely Savoy in an old garden seive, along with a few basic carrots and onions as the final touch.


The Marrow that started it all........

The Marrow in the Cold Frame piece is for sale, definitely one only - email me if you'd like details - or it will be on our stand at the Dollys Daydreams Dolls House and Miniatures Fair at Thame Leisure Centre, Thame, Oxon. on Bank Holiday Monday 29th August. If you're attending this busy fair, do come and say 'hello'.

Thank you for looking.
Robin




4 comments:

Crafts From The Stash said...

Its lovely Robin.

Lorra luffies

Debie xxxxx

carmen said...

precioso!

Georgie Steeds said...

fabulous Robin, it looks wonderful!!

Robin said...

Thank you so much...
Rx