Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Monday, April 20, 2020

Flying Frogs.......a bit of a distraction

So we had some much needed rain for the garden, which did mean it was too soggy to go weeding or planting, so my lovely other half decided to clear out the shed - in miniature days, his workshop.  He presented me with a battered cardboard box.


Inside the box was a flying frog and a flying horse - both of which had 'flown' very happily in our conservatory in Cormwall some twenty years ago, then later for a few years at our home in Buckinghamshire. Age and yet another move had meant that the frog had lost a wing and the horse was very dilapidated to say the least - so the question was, should he dig out his tools again and me, my paints...or dump them?  Yep, we were both in need of a distraction in our lockdown days!

We both enjoyed getting back to our respective craft skills and they fly again! Flying high the cracks and fillers and dodgy paintwork, which is close but not perfect, to the original remind us of lots of happy days and little children on grown-up shoulders twirling them about.



Exochorda, The Bride also reminds me of our happy days in the far west, which is where we first saw it.  It's a really lovely, early flowering shrub and I love it.  It took me years to find one but it's been very happy here in Oxfordshire and cheers us up when it flowers in early April.



Another thing reminding me of very happy days, was reading my friend Celia's latest blog...www.ktminiatures.blogspot.com/  in which she goes back though her archives. She reprises projects we made together for magazines or our workshops.
We loved every minute and are proud of our work.  Do take a look.  The one I think we loved the most, and put our hearts and souls into, was our W.W.1 Bunker which you can view as a video - it's in the R.H. column on this blog. It was sold to raise funds for The Red Cross and I believe is now in a museum in France.



Just a couple more pics. from the garden....



Thank you for looking - stay stafe.
Robin x



4 comments:

KT Miniatures said...

Absolutely love the horse and frog...you have both done an amazing job on restoring them Robin. Glad to see you both are ok and clearly having a productive time during your isolation :) With regards to all those magazine and workshop projects we did together, what fun we had with it all! Celia

elizabeth s said...

A garden in bloom is precisely what the doctor has ordered Robin and I think that your flying horse and frog would heartily agree!
What I love about your garden photos are the memories attached to each of your precious plant friends; who, as you nurture and care for them, they in turn nurture and rejuvenate your soul.

Ilona said...

Although I've never seen before these 'flying' animals, Robin, I absolutely love your flying horse and frog. I'm glad to see that you could restore these special flying 'memories' and put them on a place for making even more memories...
Nice to read that you've such lovely memories of your time together with your friend Celia, making miniatures for magazine and workshops together, attending miniatures shows. I always loved seeing your work on your blog here and I always love seeing your special, original plants/flowers here too, the memories they give to you.
Good to read that you are well, stay safe, Robin.
Hugs, Ilona

Robin said...

Great to hear from you all - thanks for such very lovely comments.
I must say reading all your blogs, and others, is always such a pleasure and I do think helps a feeling of still being connected in these strange and worrying times.
Rx