Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Poetry Please

Many people are suggesting lovely, clever, cheery or interesting things we can be doing to while away the time while we are stuck at home.  To be honest I'm not a great keep-fit enthusiast at the best of times so I'm avoiding the work-out each morning.


Writing down our 'life histories' and those of our parents for the next generation is a good one, as is a massive clear-out of cupboards......I must get around to that one......
Inventing new recipes is a must as we trawl the bottom of our freezers and the back of food cupboards.  The most inventive I've heard recently was a layer of left-over mashed potato on half a frozen Margherita pizza.  Yummy apparently........
Of course as enthusiasts we can all finish off those miniature projects or start new ones.

Inspired by one friend, three of us have exchanged our favourite poems, which was just brilliant. It also brought to mind particular memories or annecdotes which we all enjoyed as well as the poems.
This was mine:

WARNING  by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman
I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go,  and
 doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on
 brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say
we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement
 when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops
 and press alarm bells

And run my stick along public
 railings
And make up for the sobriety
 of my youth................................

There are several more verses, so I'll let you Google for the whole poem. I've always thought this was very inspiring and made me determined to grow old as disgracefully as possible!!! I've got a red coat and purple hat - do you think that counts?

I've loved the poem for years, but it also reminded me of a great friend in U.S.A. who passed on to me several commissions from 1/24th scale collectors like her who were also members of The Red Hat Society.  I must admit I had to do some research as I'd never heard of the international society which, inspired by the poem, was founded to encourage social interaction between ladies 'of a certain age' for friendship and laughter.  Google it do, some brilliant pictures!
Anyway the upshot was that in late 1990s I made lots of mini Red Hat ladies which was huge fun.  Sadly before my digital camera or computer so no decent pictures to look back on.

So - maybe you and a few of your friends would enjoy swapping poems  - or even share one on your blog.

But tonight I shall be on my doorstep with many, many others clapping and cheering for our wonderful N.H.S. staff. A tiny way to express our thanks for all they are doing for us.

Thank you for looking
Robin x

6 comments:

jenann said...

There are so many things my friends and family tell me they would love to do, if they only had time. I wonder how many of those perfectly tidy homes, completely weed-free gardens, first novels written, completed models and miniatures and long classic books we didn't quite finish reading will actually be completed when this is over?

I'm afraid my cupboards will probably not be turned out...I can always find something to do that is more interesting. Grandma Jean has given me up as a lost cause.

Little G and I enjoyed leafing through one of my childhood poetry books today. I'd forgotten it was packed away in -yes, you've guessed it - one of those never tidied cupboards where it has been since his daddy grew up.

We will be out there clapping like crazy later too - though only a flock of sheep, a donkey and a startled hen or two will hear us!

elizabeth s said...

“Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.”
― Elizabeth Barrett Browning

A dear friend wrote the above verse inside her card to me back in early 1980's and I've loved it ever since.
But I must tell you Robin that in the early 2000's as I was working, a large group of red hatted ladies each wearing purple, descended upon the cosmetics department and I thought they were the most outrageous group of women I'd ever seen!
But they were HAVING FUN and REVELLING in the comotion they were causing as they shopped. They put a BIG SMILE on the faces of every single person they encountered because they were "making up for the sobriety of their youth"! What a GREAT Society to belong to- but now where did I put my stick for those railings? :D

PILAR6373 said...

"Todo está en su sitio
Los lobos en el monte,
los políticos en el corral,
los peces en el agua´
los barcos en el mar.
Ya todo está en su sitio,
ya todo en su lugar.
Los niños en la escuela
y los patos a volar."

Éste poema infantil de Gloria Fuertes se me viene a la mente pensando y deseando que pase esta aciaga época que nos está tocando vivir,con palabras sencillas,como sencilla es nuestra forma de vida.
Y mientras,al leer tu poema he recordado que también tengo un abrigo rojo y un bastón,en cuanto pueda salir,me compraré el sombrero lila que me falta!!!!
Cuídate mucho!
Besos.

Ilona said...

Unfortunately I have no poem for you, at least not in words, dear Robin, but I love Nature. So, while Mother Naure is celebrating Spring, I'm now trying to pour my words into a miniature flower/plant, which I create nowadays. So I have no poem, but will this count too ;)??
Since here, in The Netherlands, elderly people as me have to stay indoors/at home, I am also at home. And for me the best way of searching a bit of comfort in these times, is creating miniatures and keeping in touch with my family, often by phone call, or using Skype, since they don't live nearby. We all have to make the best out of this strange and tough times. I do hope you got some help for doing your groceries and that sort of things, is there someone to help you?
Keep safe and take care for yourselves, Robin!
Warm hug, Ilona

KT Miniatures said...

Hi Robin. Yes I was there with Kate, hanging out of an upstairs window this time, clapping away. It was just as emotional as the first time we all did this last week. Every single person from our road was out there, and the noise of clapping rippling around Thame once again, was quite something. My Wordsworth poem, "I wandered lonely as a cloud" is special to me and quite apt at the moment. Stay safe my friend. Celia X

Robin said...

I've so enjoyed reading all your comments! And I loved all of your poems snd the memoried and annecdotes - Celia's prompted me to go and sit in my garden and enjoy my own daffodils.
The Thursday clapping was again very emotional. Having family members in N.H.S. i know how much it is appreciated by them and the many others helping us all stay safe.
Our community younger people have really come together to help out us old 'uns.
Illona your exquisite flowers give me a lift every time I see them - as beautiful as any poem.
....now where's my stick......
Love to you all
Rx