Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Indoor Gardening - the miniature greenhouse

The weather has turned decidedly chilly and damp and now our clocks have changed so that Autumn has really arrived - and maybe winter. It's curtailing outside gardening so it's time to move inside and pick up my miniatures again and make a start on the little greenhouse I mentioned before.

The fact that it has been abandoned in garages and sheds for the last couple of decades means, to my delight, that it has acquired a genuine patina of age so a minimum of 'distressing' will be necessary I think.
I've glazed the windows using acrylic packaging material and hung the doors.


We used a little old glass and brass terrarium for the inspiration and measurements and this had a mirrored back wall, which obviously won't work now. Back in the day I had different plans and my clever other half who built it for me also cut a mirror for the back.....I can't decide if I can use it for something else, or if I should just bin it.....

Anyway the lean-to greenhouse needs an old stone wall so I cut pieces of mountboard and polystyrene pizza packaging to shape and glued them together. Using a paper shaping tool it's quick and easy to 'sculpt' a stone wall which will take acrylic paint really well. I gave it a light stone base colour then gradually built up paint layers in various tones - it might get another tweaking later.
I would really have liked to cut and glue card to the wooden floor for flagstones, but there's just not enough clearance on the doors and there was no way I was going to mess with them! I think the painted flags look O.K.ish, but again nothing is finished until it's finished!!


So there we go...I've made a start. Although I've got shelf supports and shelves I'm avoiding doing anything with them until I have enough plants to go on them and I can see where to fix them to the wall  - this may take a while.
Actually this will take ages I expect!! I am determined to make a good number of plants of my own from scratch, although I'll no doubt be tempted by Georgie Steeds's (The Miniature Garden Centre) great paper kits and have once again already succumbed to another fabulous plant from Jan Southerton, The Flower Lady.


Georgie and Jan can be confident that I'm NO competition.
Jan was at a new fair in Burford last weekend organised by Little Priory Fairs. They are also hosting The Thame Dolls House and Miniature Fair on February 17th 2018  - I wish them well.

Thank you for looking
Robin

4 comments:

elizabeth s said...

Hi Robin!
How nice of mother nature to do the greater part of the weathering for your greenhouse and Isn't it amazing that we can have a project pending for over 2 decades?
I think that it is good that you are finally getting on with it and I applaud your intention to make many plants for the green house from scratch. With your intimate knowledge of and years of experience with garden plants, I expect that we all will be seeing something special growing under that weathered glass roof very soon! :D

Ilona said...

I love your paint work so far on the weathered wall and flag stones, Robin, they are just perfect for the greenhouse. But now for the plants: yes, that will take alot of time, but the first wonderful plant has already been born, so up to the others ;)! I agree with you for waiting the placing of shelves until you have finished all of the plants you have in mind.
Have fun!! Hugs, Ilona

Robin said...

Thank you both for your encouragement - I hope I can live up to your optimism. You both set the bar very high with your own very special work.
Rx

KT Miniatures said...

Is so good to see you make a start on this project Robin. Is looking good. I am really looking forward to see it progress. Love that wall!!! Celia