I took masses of photos thinking that one day I just might be able to recreate it in miniature. Of course the whole thing was enormous so scale was a problem - I only have so much room in my house! I finally decided to curb my wilder aspirations and use the pictures as inspiration for a 'more or less' 1/24th scale 3D picture.
In the absence of a deep picture frame/shadow box I deconstructed a redundant artists materials box and used half. I'll need to properly frame and glaze but that's a long way down the road so I'm not thinking about that yet. Inconveniently it's a bit bigger than A4. Loads of rough sketches, and the SO useful styrofoam packaging that comes with pizzas meant I could start to create the form of the old barn on mountboard.
At this point I need to acknowledge a HUGE thank-you to Drora - http://drorasminimundo.blogspot.com/
I've experimented in the past with 'sculpting' styrofoam, but seeing just what she had achieved really encouraged me to have a go on a bigger project and I'm thrilled with the results on the old walls.
Out came my hoard of brown card envelopes for the planking, which is so easy to turn into old wood with some dry-brush paint effects and the good old sandpaper and scalpel for texture.
Next up is to spend more time with the paint brush, dig out some 'trees', get some clouds in that flat sky and find some weeds. More next time.
Thank you for looking