Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Grandparents In 1/16th Scale For A Change

In the last couple of weeks I've been sculpting in 1/12th, 1/16th and 1/24th scale....very confusing and not to be recommended as a rule!

Some of you who read my blog know that I'm somewhat behind when it comes to commissions.....and I'm truly sorry...real life has been a bit full-on lately. This is why I've been mixing my scales, something I try and avoid when I'm sculpting characters. On the whole the little people have been O.K. I think, although somehow I seem to have two left hands in 1/12th scale and three right hands in 1/16th scale sitting in a box on the workbench! I've just started on 1/24th scale so shall be extra careful with the hands.


Vintage dolls houses are quite different in scale to the modern ones and usually need 1/16th scale dolls to inhabit them, which is where I come in - not everyone can find, or likes the appropriate vintage dolls.
Grandpa doesn't really have two wives, I promise, it just happened that two lovely ladies had spotted a Granny in 1/12th scale on my website and both asked for a similar doll in 1/16th scale. I hope you can see that although they are similar, because they are individually sculpted without the use of a mold, the faces aren't exactly the same. Grandpa is sitting on a cotton reel in an attempt to show scale - he's about 4 1/4 inches tall and the ladies are a little shorter.


I was given some lovely lilies and thought they looked brilliant in this whacky glove vase, alongside two of my favourite things which live on our revolving Edwardian bookcase. Bit of a mistake....I've never actually used the vase as a vase and it leaked and I didn't notice for days until I came to take this photo!
I now have to restore the top of my lovely bookcase so I'm not a happy bunny.
Incidentally if you're looking for a miniature version of the bookcase you can find it on our website.

Hoping it might stop raining soon....thanks for looking.
Robin

4 comments:

jenann said...

Poor old Grandpa is temporarily separated from his wife. He has come to Wales to sort out their new home, which needs much renovation, in order to make it reasonably comfortable before Grandma moves in to help him decide on soft furnishings and additional furniture. Though he misses his sweetheart, he is secretly enjoying the chance of eating rather more custard creams than she would usually allow him. She is ever vigilant about healthy eating! We do love our new friend Grandpa!

Robin said...

I hope Grandpa saves a few of those custard creams for his missus!
Rx

Ascension said...

Me encantan esos abuelitos, se ven adorables.
besitos ascension

Robin said...

Thanks Ascension