Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Friday, December 4, 2020

It's Just a Chair

Back in the day...the 1950s I expect....a lovely old chair, an American style rocking chair was transported by train in the baggage van from Newcastle-on-Tyne to a little market town in what was then Berkshire (it's now Oxfordshire).  In those days there were numerous small branch lines, so it came via Oxford and Swindon, almost to the door.

 


 I'm assuming the chair is late C19th and I've no idea where it was constructed, but I remember it as a child and somewhere under that uphostery on the back was glued an old newspaper in far eastern script. The back panel and seat were actually carpet - some kind of junk type boat featured on the back.  It's been recovered and a cushion added a few times since then.

 Anyway.....it originally belonged to my Geordie Granda, came to my Dad and the family and in due course came to me.  (Back in the day, like The Railway Children my sisters and I would sit on the fence and wave at the steam trains as they went past.......yep I'm ancient!)

We moved about a bit - downsized - and one of our sons and his family gave it a home for many years.....but now, short of space there, it has come home to me again. It's had a full life so needs a minor repair and a polish but it's so nice to see it again!! I would say how lovely it is to sit in it - but our mad cat has declared it HIS!


Although during our Coombe Crafts days, my other half created many beautiful miniature chairs, he never attempted one like this - I wonder if anyone else has?

In our  soggy and chilly garden the winter-flowering jasmine is putting on a wonderful show and the 'Freckles' clematis presents a discreet but modest show on the other side of the archway.  I've just noticed the first spring bulbs pushing out their noses, so maybe spring is not as far away as we think. 





Thank you for looking and stay safe.
Robin x





5 comments:

Ilona said...

What an very old, well lived chair can do in someone's brain, it shows us our memories of earlier times from long ago. To me this chair looks like a special possession, just because it's old, has travelled alot (oh my, if it could speak) and it has its specific and original characteristics. And your cat doesn't mind if the chair is old, he thinks: if I can sit here very warm and nice, it's okay to me , hahaha ;)!!
Your garden looks in winter just as beautiful as it is in other seasons. Every season has its own beauty.
Stay safe, take care, dear Robin.
Happy weekend to you both.
Hugs, Ilona

Anna said...

There is nothing better than thing with a good story! What a great piece to have - no wonder the crazy cat has claimed it as his domain.
Best Anna X

Anna said...

Me again, Robin - look what I just came across: https://www.mastersminiatures.com/296-victorian-rocker-detailed-577-p.asp

Robin said...

Many thanks Illona - as always it's lovely to hear from you.
Wow Anna - thank you SO much. We know Gary Masters and his Dad - who started Masters Miniatures many years ago, such talented craftsmen and lovely people. What a treat, we were both thrilled to see your post and the fabulous miniature chair that Gary has created. Made our day!!
Robin x

Drora's minimundo said...


The chair is a conversation piece. I never saw one like it before. It looks very comfortable.
Hugs, Drora