Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

I was thinking about plants and my miniatures.....

I expect if you've been reading my blogs for a while you'll have worked out that gardening, and creative arts and crafts, but predominately miniatures, have been passions since I was young. Although it's mostly gardening at the moment.
 

Growing up with a mother who somehow passed on a love of plants both wild and cultivated - and their latin and common names - without her daughters ever actually realising it, to creating my own gardens, we all became 'gardeners'.  Our family was like that - and painting, drawing, making things...whether it was a pair of gloves or a dollshouse...it must be in the genes.  

So many of you seem to be both passionate miniaturists and gardeners. From reading your blogs I'm convinced that there is a direct link between visualising a garden - even when it's a bare patch of earth - and visualising a dolls house and its 'people'and accessories, even when it's just a box or a kit!
So - stick with it..... the following picture (I expect you've seen one like it every year...sorry) is our glorious Continus in its autumn foliage.  The leaves are almost like animal skins, or exotic plants, so vivid.  So a few years ago I scanned, reduced and used miniature paper copies as exotic leaves in my miniature conservatory. It's how you see it - isn't it? 




Back in the day (and historically) fresh foliage was preserved in a mixture of glycerine and water, fresh flowers in  dry preservatives like silver sand or borax or even washing powder!! Oh yes I tried them all!  Thinking small I preserved tiny flowers like forget-me-nots and lychnis, tiny grasses, seed heads and ferns which I used in little arrangements before the brilliant floral experts pushed the art to a whole new level.  Illona and Jan Southerton.... are two of my favourites who spring to mind using completely different materials and techniques.  Of course now there are lots of lovely commercial products like coloured foam, scatter, fibres, papers,  polymer clays and silks that make life  easier for all of us, but it is so satisfactory to start from scratch and develop your own techniques and find your own way, I think.

Finally I can't resist showing you a picture of one of the little robins that accompany us when we're digging and weeding - having filled up on worms, he/she is having a bath in one of our mini ponds.



Anecdotally, gardens and outside spaces help many of us cope with the restrictions of the pandemic; I'm sure hobbies and crafts have played a major part too in keeping us 'sane'. Your many and various blogs have been fun, inspiring, and informative - thank you all for staying in touch. Stay safe.


Thank you for looking.
Robin x

 



3 comments:

Ilona said...

Sooo true what you wrote about gardening and creating mini gardens, flowers, foliage and plants, Robin, I often get my inspiration of the real life nature, farmyards and our gardens. But these pictures of your beautiful garden are always a feast for the eyes, thank you for sharing your treasures in your garden and I LOVE seeing your redbreast in his private pond.
And yes, my garden in real life may be small but it keeps me 'sane' indeed. Plus (for me in person) till now we here have enjoyed our countryside, for our walkings, or bike rides. But I am afraid that unfortunately this won't last no longer, because next week the government will probably announce that we will get stricter measures, or a lockdown, due to the high numbers of contaminiations.
But, let's try to stay positive and to enjoy the most little things in real life. So, I hope to stay blogging, making miniatures and enjoying the most little things in life (such as a cheerful video chat with my grandson, who I haven't seen for weeks now, but meanwhile he knows how to video chat with his granny ;O) ).
Stay safe, take care, dear Robin.
Warm hug, Ilona

Drora's minimundo said...

I can't tell you how much I envy your garden. I wish we would still have our little cottage and the garden. It can drive one insane being locked down, alone in an apartment, no matter how large it is. But like most of us miniacs, hand crafts are what keeps us occupied these days.
Your mini plants and flowers are stunningly lifelike. I love the tiny robin. Like you, my name in hebrew is also the name of a bird.
Keep safe:
Hugs, Drora

Robin said...

Thank you lovely ladies.....we have such a lot in common!
Stay safe, enjoy your miniatures, because we all love seeing them and reading your blogs.
Take care
Robin x