Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

I Dug Up the Lawn!

So what do you do if you're a keen gardener, running out of space and have plants that need moving or dividing?
It's obvious isn't it - you dig up the lawn!

Most of our pandemic has been spent in the garden, and we're truly grateful to have one because not everyone does and the recent months must have been so much more difficult than ours. As I do often blog about it you'll know how important it has been.  There's always something to enjoy and more importantly lots of things to do.

When we moved here it was something of a blank canvas so we were able to create the garden we wanted but there was one shrub/tree that filled us with excitement - the Magnolia Grandiflora Exmouth!! Every year it has bloomed most wonderfully,  plate sized flowers with the most glorious lemony scent. It's actually quite tricky to photograph because all the bees and insects love it and it's often full of them.


So the bearded iris in the main garden stopped flowering because frankly they were swamped by everything else. Last autumn I dug up a patch of the lawn in the small front garden, moved some and they flowered brilliantly.  But still loads left!
I resisted digging up any more this spring because the patch left just about took my Granddaughter's little mini if there was a lack of parking space - which was the case when everyone was staying at home - but she's back at Uni now and so I've dug it up and moved the rest!! It was a scrappy little bit of grass and my husband is delighted to give up mowing it.

I was properly discombobulated to find that Blogger has updated me - help! Some of your blogs now redirect me and don't just appear on my reading list. So now I have to see if I can cope with putting up this new blog - fingers crossed.

I hope you're staying safe.
Thank you for looking.
Robin x



3 comments:

elizabeth s said...

My sister and I have been doing the same thing with my various garden plots which have been neglected for several years. We began revamping about 3 weeks ago and what was at first going to be a quick fix, became an all in overhaul, which has also included moving iris' from one bed to another, and just as you've done, I plan on moving even more iris' too.
It's a good feeling when you are outside working on something you truly love. The gratification of working with plants and nature; along with a sense of accomplishment after a lot of physical work; plus the beauty of the flowers in due season; well... there's nothing else quite like it!

Robin said...

You're right Elizabeth once you get in the garden a quick fix rapidly turns into something else. Sooo satisfying!
Rx

Jean Tuthill said...

Yes, I had to take some more lawn out in the backyard to make room for my tomatoes this year. It's okay to me, it takes so much water to keep it going in the summer. This year was particularly bad and it is all brown anyway. Your Iris will be gorgeous and much better looking than grass. Thanks for coming by my blog. I am trying to get back to it after some absence from it. So thanks, my long-time friend!