Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Filling Up The Little Shelves

I very nearly ditched a 1/24th,  not very exciting, glass-fronted set of shelving that I'd painted up a long time ago - couldn't decide if it should be an armoire or a bookcase.  Neither really appealed, but I dithered and shoved it in a box...as you do.

When I was working on the last 1/12th dresser I realised I probably had enough tiny pieces to actually make something of the discarded shelving after all instead of leaving it in a box and dither some more.



I'm sure you can spot more of Elisabeth Causeret's wonderful pottery and the little aqua painted kettle at the bottom is the exquisite work of Vicky Fasken.  I was happy with the little glass plate at the top which I painted with 'roses'.
Back in the day I'd hoard old watch glasses which are the perfect size and I enjoyed painting them, so it was fun to do that again.
Lots of different beads - so versatile for miniaturists - and some of my own polymer clay teapots, together with hoarded 'odds'n sods' soon filled the shelves and made something out of not very much.

Last Saturday I visited The Thame Fair, now in its 13th year and under new ownership. After 11 years behind one of the trader's stand it makes a change to be able to browse and treat myself.  I bought a gorgeous orchid from Jan Southerton (The Flower Lady) and met up with chums, but have to admit to being disappointed that there were far fewer of the finest artisan miniaturists that we had expected, and had seen in previous years. What a shame.

I'll take a photo of Jan's orchid for the next blog but meanwhile 'exotic' Kohleria is blooming its socks off in the conservatory.  This is another of those wonderful plants that are pretty boring until they burst into fabulous flower.  I love it.


Thanks for looking
Robin

3 comments:

Ilona said...

I love your small dresser, Robin, it was just there, in awaiting for each one of your tiny mini treasures. As you already know, I'm also a fan of the works of Elisabeth and Victoria, both are true artists in their crafts.
I can imagine that you LOVE the plant 'Kholeria' it's so very special to see it blooming. Thanks for sharing this extraordinary plant ;).
Hugs, Ilona

elizabeth s said...

You have made good use of that long neglected cupboard and you have filled the shelves Beautifully!
I love a mixed bag of stuff on a shelf, especially when it's crockery and teapots! :D
I can't wait to see your new mini orchid but what a treat to see the Spectacular blooms of your Kohlria! Those freckles are A Delightful Surprise- so cute!!!!

PILAR6373 said...

Has llenado el armario de pequeñas maravillas!!!
Preciosa floración de tu Kohlria,tiene unas flores preciosas.
Besos.