Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Monday, June 6, 2016

The Times They Are A'Changing.... Special Announcement

On Saturday Celia Thomas, my partner in Nostalgia in Miniature Workshops, and I hosted our  workshop with a lovely group of miniaturists at Bicester Avenue Garden Centre. It featured our latest workshop  - 13 different ones in all since we began.
On 2nd July we shall  do it all again...and then folks....as I said......times are changing
.

 

This spring I had what is deemed a 'significant' birthday.....my hands and wrists caused problems again making it difficult to sculpt for any sustained length of time...the old back played up.....I realised I'd had a great run for over 30 years and loved every minute of it, but had neglected my much loved garden recently and hadn't got around, for yet another year, to do any 'me' things on the famous 'to do' list.  Hmmm......


I think that's what you'd call a decision made for me - so I've decided to retire as a professional miniaturist.
I have a lovely commission to finish but cannot  undertake further commissions and I'll stop trading during July sometime. The miniature doors on Coombe Crafts will be closing with huge thanks to our many wonderful friends and customers.  Of course it will take a while to sort out closing the website (too technical for me...need help) tweaking this blog and such 'stuff' and there is some (mostly 1/24th scale) stock if anyone would like to enquire.

I plan to keep Blogging so I hope  you may stay with me to see more of my garden, cats, 'archive' miniatures pics. and whatever I manage to get up to in miniature for myself. Apart from anything else I love your fantastic Blogs!

So - that's  the Coombe Crafts announcement.

Nostalgia in Miniature Workshops has been around since 2011 - 13 different workshop projects, some repeated two or three times,  and a number of magazine features and 'How To' projects.  Celia and I have had a great time - it's been such fun bouncing ideas off each other and coming up with original projects using very ordinary materials in innovative ways using our different but complementary skills.  We've had such a ball, made lovely new friends and we hope inspired a few along the way!!

My own decision happens to coincide with a particularly tough time for Celia and her family.  Many of you know that her lovely husband is seriously ill and 2016 is an especially testing year.  SO - time to close the little doors on Nostalgia in MiniatureWorkshops  too after the next workshop.
I very much hope that things will improve for them and that another time Celia will pick up workshops again; she's still got lots to offer  and is only a 'youngster' - I'll volunteer if she needs a sweeper upper.... so do keep an eye on  KT Miniatures website.



Let me end this blog with pictures from our Saturday workshop and thank all the ladies for their fun and enthusiasm  - they all worked really hard and should be proud of their acheivements.  We look forward to seeing what emporia the little shops become in due course and of course look forward to seeing another group of talented miniaturists in July.  There are more workshop pictures on our Nostalgia in Miniatures Workshops  Blog if you want to see what Janet and Celia were waiting to see unveiled. .......

Thank you all for looking
Robin



6 comments:

Wee Cute Treasures said...

It is always sad to see another miniature enterprise closing, but you seem to have made a sensible decision based on your circumstances. I will still be following your blog and seeing what you get up to generally. In the meantime, congratulations on having run a successful business and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your retirement.
Best of luck, Carol xx

I treasure the little birds you made for me and am glad to have them!

PILAR6373 said...

Mucha suerte en tu nueva andadura,es triste ver que el tiempo,no fluye siempre en nuestro favor,pero es una decisión razonable.
Os deseo lo mejor!!!!!!!
Besos.

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

Oh, I'm sad your clever hands won't be working little miracles so much in the future Robin but wish you a marvellous retirement and hope to hear from you in blogland for a long time to come. I feel so blest to have a family of your quirky characters living Downunder who bring life, joy and humour to my miniature scenes. Thanks mate! Lifting a glass to you!

Ilona said...

I think it is sad to see that another great miniaturist, like you Robin, is leaving again our wonderful miniture world, Robin, it's sad that your hands are not functioning well anymore (I hope you know what I mean, I can't express myself well in English, I'm sorry for that).
I've enjoyed to follow your mini characters, wonderful miniatures, gorgeous miniature scenes on your blog!
Wishing you all the best, enjoy your retirement and I hope to hear from you in blogland!!
Hugs, Ilona

Robin said...

So many of you have become my friends through miniatures and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your very kind comments - I'm quite overwhelmed.
Thank you all.
R xxx

elizabeth s said...

I know what you mean about having a neglected garden and needing to get back into it! It is difficult to have both- a mini business and a large garden especially one with your 4 garden rooms!
I find that when I am in the midst of the "mini zone", my garden suffers from great neglect and of course by the time I do get out there, it's double the work, so I know that there must be a lot of catching up for you too!
I am glad to learn however, that your still planning on blogging after your retirement, Robin; that makes me happy! :D
I wish you the Very Best as you prepare to begin another chapter in your life, the Best is Yet to Be! :D

elizabeth