Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Friday, January 22, 2021

I was just wondering......

.....what little thing can start the day well.  In these rather difficult and sad times it is hard to avoid the latest news but often something quite small can banish gloomy thoughts and just start the day well.

I must admit my best start to the day is throwing open the back door taking a gulp of fresh air (or rain) and deciding how soon I can have a wander round the garden, seeing how many primroses and snowdrops are out and check out the bulbs popping through.


This morning, catching sight of a another orchid in full bloom in front of a backdrop of a picture that reminds me of Cornwall and a vintage tin advertising stand above which the coloured glass and bits and pieces were caught by the early morning sun made me smile.
To top it all our Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise) is out and this year reaching for the sky with an indoor climber scrambling up it.


Out in the garden I'm thrilled that a lovely double Helebore is blooming because with some trepidation I had moved it in the autumn and they hate being moved.



Of course a phone call from family or friend is a super start to any day - or a letter.  We write and receive so few these days don't we?  Maybe it's just that it's stopped raining......or someone brings you a cup of tea....or has baked you a cake (I love cake)?

Sadly, as we're mostly at home and not shopping, managing to get an online grocery delivery slot is a GREAT start to my day.  Yes that is truly pathetic I know!

Reading your blogs would be a good start to the day, but I try to leave that till later, or the washing up and ironing would never get done. So Blogger friends - what are some of yours?
 
Thank you for looking - Happy New Year.
Robin x

 




5 comments:

Ilona said...

What a lovely way to start the new day, Robin.
Nature miracles, such as blooming plants, can make us smile and......they go on even in these times of a pandemic, isn't it? ;)
I am glad to read you still can enjoy your flowers and plants, see them bloom and grow AND.....that you show them on your blog so others can enjoy them too :).
It's wise that you get your groceries delivered at home, especially now, I wish I could.
My start of the day is reading blogs (at least I do my best to find out who wrote a blog post, you can read in my last blog about this issue ;)), doing my household, sometimes I have a lovely video chat with my grandson, and yes, I can still go out for an early bike ride, because I live at the edge of my village on the countryside (yes, I am a lucky bird) and I take care for my partner who has to work at home for his office since almost a year now. If I still have some time by then, I try to make mini's ;).
Stay safe, take care, dear Robin.
Have a nice weekend, make the best out of it!
Warm hug, Ilona

Marisa said...

its too cold to go outside here, its going to snow again so I ran to a few of the close charity shops to see what I could gather and then I popped round to the local grocery store and got a few pieces of chicken for lunch. it was nice to talk to the shop girls and catch up on the latest gossip. Ive noticed that men seem a bit friendlier but its understandable...they get lonely too and need to chat to feel human like the rest of us.

stay safe
Marisa :)

PILAR6373 said...

Una perfecta manera de comenzar cada día Robin, disfrutar de la naturaleza, aunque sea en un espacio reducido, llena el alma! Cuídate mucho!
Besos.

Robin said...

It is lovely to hear from you all - thank you so much. I do envy the bike rides - I used to love rides around the countryside - and popping into the charity shops. I think more than anything else we miss the ordinary everyday contact with friends and neighbours - Hooray for the day we get some of that back.
However just a little walk means we get to say 'hello' even if it's at a distance.
Take care and stay safe ladies.
Rx

Drora's minimundo said...

Hello Robin,

You are blessed to have a garden and can watch the beautiful blossoms every season of the year. I have pots on the service balcony and enjoy the few plants. I feel blessed, first of all, the family. I can count on daily calls from both daughters as well as my three brothers who keep in touch by WhatsApp. I live alone but not lonely. The minis keep me busy. I have plenty of books to read, enjoy listening to music I have enough hoarded craft supplies and no immediate need to go shopping, so closed shops are not a bother right now, but I am sad and sorry for the shop owners whose economic situation is very bad and afraid that the few local craft shops will go bankrupt and close down. Most of my close friends and most adult members of my family Have been fully inoculated. Next Thursday I'll get my second and final shot. A week later, if the downlock is over, we'll be able to reunite, safely in spite of the epidemic.
Take care, stay safe and healthy. I'm sure that very soon the epidemic will be over worldwide.
Hugs, Drora