Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Faces of Autumn

It seems such a long time since we had such a glorious autumn - the weather is warm and wonderful, the changing colours of trees and shrubs and evening skies are a delight and much happy gardening has been taking place.  Here in the U.K. the clocks 'fall back' this coming weekend so I suppose we shall have to acknowledge that winter might be just around the corner. Then it will be time move to inside activities...back to reducing excess 'stuff'(boring but necessary) and thinking about miniatures again (much more interesting).

Out in the garden the early morning mists and dew transform so much and these clematis seed heads look beautiful - soon they will be fluffy and differently beautiful.


It is the time of 'hacking back' so old willow and hazel have been pollarded or coppiced and rampant climbing roses and shrubs brought back under some sort of control.  However, when we created this garden almost from scratch we deliberately created a labour intensive garden - much loved by mad gardeners such as us.  The circular gravel garden looked super for a number of years, but lately it has become very crowded and overgrown; although still looking super, it needed attention so plants have been removed or reduced in size, and some treasures given space. Needless to say I now have a number of pots containing spare plants looking for new homes in our borders or someone else's.


Roses are fantastic plants which keep giving until the very last moment and we still have a number that are blooming their hearts out.  Clematis 'Freckles' is just coming into flower and all sorts of interesting fungi are popping up all over the place - magic!


My work bench has become a bit of a dumping ground over the summer but I know there are two or three little people tucked away just waiting to get out of their box.......characters just for me. I shall have to start thinking.



Thank you for looking
Robin

5 comments:

elizabeth s said...

When I installed my garden from scratch almost 19 years ago, I'd made it a high maintainace garden as well and like you, I've now found myself thinning out many many plants this fall to make it look tidy and under control again.
19 years ago I had more energy and a healthier back, however these days I often let the garden go for far too long before I feel up to digging in and tackling it.
However, YOUR BEAUTIFUL GARDEN appears to benefit from a Steady Diet of Care and Attention and I cannot but admire that the LOVE you lavish on it returns to you in spades, no matter what the Season. :)

Ilona said...

Your beautiful garden looks to me as a magical garden, Robin, because mine has suffered far too much of the severe drought this past summer ;)! Most of my plants have died, or had to be removed already, I'm curious what next spring will bring us....
I've also been working in my garden since two weeks now, this autumn it is a sad job to do, but it has to be done.
It's nice to see that you've refound some of your character dolls, I always love the original 'Robin" look they have!
Hugs, Ilona

jenann said...

Another wonderful and inspiring post. Thank you Robin!
Autumn is my favourite time of year.

Robin said...

Thank you all for your comments - so much appreciated. When I decided to 'retire' I did wonder whether anyone would still be interested in a blog that focussed rather less on miniatures. As I do enjoy writing it can I just say that YOU make it so worthwhile and such fun, so thank you to everyone who pops in.
Rx

moshrabbi121 said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to find anyone with some unique thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that's needed on the internet, somebody with a bit of originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the internet! online gambling