Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Let it snow...let it snow....let it snow...

It snowed overnight so today it looks like a proper winter!!  I don't have to leave my snug home or travel on our snowbound roads so I can enjoy the beautiful transformation  - lucky me.

Somehow a winter without a decent snowfall leaves me feeling somewhat cheated so I'm very happy to see it.  I totally appreciate that if you are living in North America, for instance, where three or four inches is a mere trifle and you manage easily with feet of snow on a regular basis and nothing stops working, you may be having a chuckle....


Our sons grew up at the foot of the Wiltshire Downs and the hills and valleys were their winter playground, along with all their friends.  Of course the biggest bonus was when the school bus couldn't make it down into the village, sometimes for days, and they had an extended winter holiday. At the foot of the hill, our house was always full of steaming wet gloves and boots, hot chocolate and toast and a back yard full of assorted sledges.  Happy days.


Indoctrinated by their fathers from an early age, the grandchildren are equally excited by any chance of playing in the snow. A very large (over 6ft) grandson bounded through the door this morning asking 'Have you taken photos yet Granny?' ( how well he knows me).....before racing through the virgin snow in our back garden to make snow angels.  He did also kindly dig out my poor owl that had toppled into a 'drift'.

Kholeria
Chirita
In the conservatory a couple of my favourite plants are blooming beautifully - a Chirita and a Kholeria both distant relatives of African Violets and very easy to grow.

Thanks for looking
Robin

8 comments:

Ilona said...

I loved reading your blogpost filled with nostalgic thoughts from earlier times, Robin.
Being a true "child of winter" I LOVE snow. And I had the same feeling this afternoon as you, after we had a heavy snowfall of about 10-12 cm of snow, which is quite much since we haven't had as much snow since long.
And.....did you self also go outside with your grandchildren for making snow angels together (I'm joking ;)) ?
The blooming plants in your conservatory are awesome, I've never seen these before, true beauties!! Thank you for sharing and mentioning their names, Robin.
Warm hugs,
Ilona

Robin said...

We haven't had snow like this for about four years!!
Haha....I stood in the doorway in the warm.

The plants are a little unusual, but SO easy. Often suppliers of Streptocarpus sell these as well.
Rx

PILAR6373 said...

Que maravilla de nevada,las fotos son preciosas! Donde yo vivo,es raro que nieve y sin embargo me encanta,tiene algo especial! me gustan tus recuerdos y que ahora,tus nietos disfruten junto a vosotros.
Las plantas son maravillosas!
Besos.

elizabeth s said...

Hi Robin

I am quite surprised to see so much snow where you are! Here in Southwestern Canada ( a zone 8) means that snow can often be a hit or miss with us during the winter season.
Thus far the weather has remained unusually mild although a hard frost has now settled in, which for me is a good "snow substitute". ;D
Your plants are Very Cheering and have me wishing once again for Spring!

Donna S said...

Loved your photos of your snow! I just love it, altho hubby who has to shovel it is not as enthused as I am. I do not know where Elizabeth S. is in Ontario, but here in the central area we have about 2 feet on the ground and more expected!
But the amount you have Robin, seems to be just right. I just loved the contrasts between your beautiful plants and the snow outside.

jenann said...

I love snow! Not to be competitive, but we have had between 2' and 4' in drifts over the last few days and I was almost annoyed when the council finally sent a snow plough and grit lorry down the lane to 'rescue' us. There is something quite relaxing about the solitude. Fortunately, we had just gone back to the scarlet, so we're with the livestock and pets.

Your photos are lovely but there should have been one of YOU making snow angels😉!
I'm trying not to be envious re your conservatory!

Merry Christmas!
Jenni x i

jenann said...

P.S. for scarlet, read farmlet! I've been Kindled again😀. J x

Robin said...

Hey.........so we all love snow....must be the child in all of us.
So is that why we're all miniaturists...reliving our past childhoods.
I'm happy with that.
Stay safe Jenny - I know all is not loadsafun.
Thank you all for all your comments and encouragement this last year - it means such a lot to me. I wish you all whatever you wish for yourselves this Christmas and in the coming year.
Rxxxx