Sharing a love of Dolls House Miniatures - and making time for other creative crafts and the garden.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Working on New Plants for the Greenhouse

It's been a real struggle this week to concentrate on basic housekeeping jobs - who wants to iron and hoover when there are miniature plants just crying out to be created?? In an effort to find exactly the right piece of saved dried plant material, I was forced to empty and thus reorganise a BIG cupboard.....so I did actually move out, move on and dump some bits and pieces and felt quite smug.


The rather weird seed heads pictured came from a flowering plant I grew a few years  in the garden - the trouble is I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Does anyone out there recognise it? It wouldn't have been anything rare or exotic.
I've kept three or four because they fascinated me and finally found a use for one as a rather interesting mossy support for the Cheese Plant I've just made for the greenhouse.  I need a couple of large plants in the place to balance the heavily planted shelves on the back wall.


I had to rely on memory and Internet images for the cheese plant, but fortunately I have a Clivia, just flowering, so I could study that before embarking on what I hope is a passable miniature. The tiny buds are dried plant material but the flowers and leaves - as in most of my plants- are paper.


I've been working on enough different plants to fill three shelves on the back wall and apart from some titivating I'm almost there. 'Titivating'!! I love that word - reminds me of my elderly aunts titivating their summer hats with new ribbons.
My second large plant, a Strelitzia, is proving to be VERY challenging, despite the fact that I have one three feet away from me I study every day!

More next time, hopefully.
Thanks for looking
Robin

5 comments:

elizabeth s said...

MOST Impressive Robin! I am in love with your cheese plant and I thank you for telling me the name of it because although I recognized it immediately, I don't think that I Ever knew what it was called.

elizabeth
and I don't blame you for not wanting to vacuum and do the housekeeping either because working on your mini plants is by far, the more rewarding! ;D

PILAR6373 said...

Unas plantas maravillosas y tan reales! Las semillas han resultado un perfecto apoyo.
Besos.

jenann said...

Your miniature house plant look healthier than my real ones!
I'm soo looking forward to seeing your greenhouse filled with your wonderful pieces, You have green fingers both outdoors in your garden and in your miniature studio.

If you ever find out what that deed case is from, please let us know Robin. I'm fascinated by it.

Jenni xxx

Ilona said...

Hi Robin! I have no clue what name is of the dried pieces in your hand, sorry. But I do know that the Monstera plant and the Clivia ar wonderful. Yes, in a greenhouse you''l certainly need some bigger plants ;)!
I love seeing your progress in making miniature plants, so I can't wait to see the Strelitzia :)!
Have a nice Sunday and week!
Hugs, Ilona

Robin said...

The Latin for the Cheese Plant is Monstera Deliciosa!!! Think I'll stick with the cheese. Glad you like it Elizabeth.

Yes ladies - I'm pretty keen to see the Strelizia finished too.....touch tricky....but I'm not giving up.

No suggestions on the seed heads but I'll let you know if I find out.
Thanks for all your lovely comments
Rx